Sunday, February 13, 2011

Another Gaborik Proposal?

Considering this page is still relatively new, I'm going to keep this personal. Last night at Brett's, Rob and I were discussing yet another trade proposal for Gaborik. Although an unlikely trade to happen, post your opinion as to whether or not you would do it. We are interested in your response.

Gaborik Del Zotto and a 2nd round pick for Brooks Orpik and Jordan Staal is the trade that Rob proposed to me. He claims Jordan Staal will be one of the best power third line forwards in the game for years to come.


Jordan Staal throwing an elbow to brother Marc. Probably in response to that monster hit Marc put on him at the Garden.

The other component to this trade is Brooks Orpik. A first round pick, Orpik has clearly become a leader on the Penguins and lets his impressive defensive play and bone crushing hits do the talking for him. Orpik has become a cornerstone of this Penguins organization.

At first, my initial reaction was no, solely because in my mind a second round pick is too much to throw away. I said I'd be more inclined to accept this trade if it was a 3rd or 4th rounder. The more I think about it now, the less I want to do this trade and here's why.

As Rob puts it, Jordan Staal is going to be a premier power third line center. I am not disagreeing with this at all. I am a huge Jordal Staal fan. On a Rangers team though, what exactly is the third line? Gaborik Christensen Prospal, Wolski Stepan Zuccarello, Callahan Anisemov Dubinsky, Prust Boyle Avery.

To me, the third line is Callahan Dubinsky and Anisemov. They don't play third line minutes because they are hard working and make things happen, but they are definitely the third line. Insert Jordan Staal for Anisemov. Staal Callahan Dubinsky? I'm in love. But then what happens to Anisemov? Where is he going to fit in? I've always thought that when he picks his game up, he will be a perfect complement to Callahan and Dubinsky. Maybe Jordan Staal with Boyle and Prust? Idk but that's not the only thing I have against this trade.

Brooks Orpik leveling Colton Orr.

Brooks Orpik is one of the most valuable defensive defenseman in the game who loves nothing more than to take the body. If you tell me you wouldn't want him on your team if you were starting a team I'd call you a liar or accuse you of knowing nothing about hockey. The problem with him being a part of this trade? Rangers are a very solid defensive team. We don't need another solid defensiive defenseman in my mind. We need that quarterback on the powerplay. I'd be more inclined to move Girardi for Orpik than give up Del Zotto solely b/c Del Zotto at elast has potential to become an offensive threat on the blue line.

While Brooks Orpik and Jordan Staal are two guys I'd love to have on my team, I can't justify this trade. It just doesn't sit right with me. This wouldn't solve any of the problems that the Rangers have, and losing Gaborik for no offense? I guess it can go either way as Staal and Orpik are two premier players I wouldn't mind seeing in a NYR jersey. Let me know what you think, Gaborik will be a hot topic until the trade deadline.

4 comments:

  1. dont like that trade at all we have enough of those 3rd line players.. everybody needs to relax with trading gaborik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan Staal is a 3rd line center on pit because he has Malkin and Crosby in front of him. He is only 22 who is already made a name for himself as a great powerful center who is what the rangers have been looking for. and for Del Zotto, hes been a joke. torts have given him plenty of chances and if you can upgrade to a Brooks Orpik who knows howto shut down players, why not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staal and Orpik are amazing players, but it doesn't solve any of the problems with the Rangers. They need a powerplay QB and some offense upfront.

    ReplyDelete